(Links below are highlighted in red.)
Powered by guidebook • Sponsored by: School of Communications, Elon University
VIEW THE CONFERENCE PROGRAM
A quick glance of conference sessions listed by day in a grid format. Update 7.18.18
View highlighted conference theme sessions and workshops. Some workshops may require registration/purchase. Update 6.5.18
*You may still may still be able to sign up for some available events at onsite registration in Washington, DC.*
Important sessions, meetings and events that all attendees are encouraged to attend.
• SPJ/Google News Initiative Workshop — 1 to 5 p.m., Sunday, Aug. 5
This workshop for media researchers and educators, will cover tools for trust and verification, immersive storytelling, data journalism and data visualization. More details. @spjtweets @googlenewsinit.
• AEJMC Night at the Movies — 6:30 p.m., Sunday, Aug. 5
“The Post” Join your colleagues for popcorn and lemonade in the city where it happened.
• Keynote Session — 6:45 p.m. Monday, Aug. 6 (Opening Reception immediately follows)
• Where are We on News Engagement? — 8:15 a.m., Tuesday, Aug. 7
This session will examine the state of news engagement today as well as social media and mobile use of the upcoming generation that will affect news engagement in the future. Plus, the 2018 Winner of the News Audience Research Paper Award will be announced and there will be a new book and Blu-Ray Disc GiveAway. Plus, share one of your best ideas for expanding News Engagement Day.
• AEJMC 101 & 102 in D.C.
– AEJMC 101: Making AEJMC Work for You in D.C. and Beyond — 3:15 p.m., Monday, Aug. 6
– AEJMC 102: Making AEJMC Work for You Throughout Your Career — 1:45 p.m. on Wednesday, Aug. 8
• Career Advancement: Engaging with Leaders — Wednesday, Aug. 8 (Following the General Session)
• Spotlight Presentations
– “Only in Washington: Tips for Navigating the Library of Congress” by Joe Campbell, American — 2 p.m., Monday, Aug. 6
– “Getting That Job” by Earnest Perry, Missouri — 10 a.m., Tuesday, Aug. 7
– “Getting Published” by Peter Lang Publishing rep Kathryn Harrison, Acquisitions Editor, Media/Communication & Performing Arts — 1 p.m., Tuesday, Aug. 7
– “Getting the Money: Grant Writing” by Kim Bissell, Alabama — 3 p.m., Tuesday, Aug. 7
– “Fast-tracking Changes to Your Curriculum” by Tom Reichert and Andrea Tanner, South Carolina — 11 a.m., Wednesday, Aug. 8