Washington, DC 2018 AEJMC Paper Competition Call
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Please read the ENTIRE Uniform Paper Call before proceeding to the Division and Interest Group paper calls listed below.
Uniform Paper Call:
The programming groups within the Council of Divisions of the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication invite submission of original, non-published, English language only research papers to be considered for presentation at the AEJMC Conference, August 6 to 9, 2018, in Washington, DC. Specific requirements for each competition — including limits on paper length — are spelled out in the listing of groups and research chairs that appear below. Papers are to be submitted in English only.
All research papers must be uploaded through an online server to the group appropriate to the paper’s topic via ALL ACADEMIC. The following uniform call will apply to ALL AEJMC paper competitions. Additional information specific to an individual group’s call is available at the end of the uniform call information.
1. Submit the paper via ALL ACADEMIC to the AEJMC group appropriate to the paper’s topic. Format should be Word, WordPerfect, or a PDF. PDF format is strongly encouraged.
2. The paper must be uploaded to the ALL ACADEMIC server no later than 11:59 P.M. (Central Daylight Time) Sunday, April 1, 2018.
3. Also upload a paper abstract of no more than 75-words.
4. Completely fill out the online submission form with author(s) name, affiliation, mailing address, telephone number, and email address. The title should be printed on the first page of the text and on running heads on each page of text, as well as on the title page. Do NOT include author’s name on running heads or title page.
5. Papers uploaded with author’s identifying information WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED FOR REVIEW AND WILL AUTOMATICALLY BE DISQUALIFIED FROM THE COMPETITION. ALL AEJMC DIVISIONS, INTEREST GROUPS AND COMMISSION PAPER SUBMISSIONS WILL ABIDE BY THIS RULE WITHOUT EXCEPTION.
6. Papers are accepted for peer review on the understanding that they are not already under review for other conferences and that they have been submitted to only ONE AEJMC group for evaluation. Papers accepted for the AEJMC Conference should not have been presented to other conferences or published in scholarly or trade journals prior to presentation at the conference.
7. Student papers compete on an equal footing in open paper competitions unless otherwise specified by the individual division or interest group. Individual group specifications are appended to this uniform call.
8. Papers submitted with both faculty and student authors will be considered faculty papers and are not eligible for student competitions.
9. At least one author of an accepted faculty paper must attend the conference to present the paper. If student authors cannot be present, they must make arrangements for the paper to be presented.
10. If a paper is accepted, and the faculty author does not present the paper at the conference, and if a student author does not make arrangements for his/her paper to be presented by another, then that paper’s acceptance status is revoked. It may not be included on a vita.
11. Authors will be advised whether their paper has been accepted By May 20 and may access a copy of reviewers’ comments from the online server. Contact the paper chair if you are not notified or have questions about paper acceptance.
Special note: Authors who have submitted papers and have not been notified by May 20, MUST contact the division or interest group paper chair for acceptance information. The AEJMC Central Office may not have this information available.
12. Authors of accepted papers retain copyright of their papers and are free to submit them for publication after presentation at the conference.
Important Paper Submissions Information
• Upload papers for the AEJMC 2018 Washington, DC Conference beginning January 15, 2018. Paper submitters should follow instructions on the front page of the submission site to create your account and complete the information required.
• Deadline for paper submissions is April 1, 2018, at 11:59 p.m. CDT. Any submissions after this time will not be accepted.
• Before submitting your paper, please make certain that all author-identifying information has been removed and that all instructions have been followed per the AEJMC uniform paper call. Take every precaution to ensure that your self-citations do not in any way reveal your identity.
• A COVER SHEET or a sheet with the 75-word required ABSTRACT that is included with a paper upload should be EXCLUDED from the page number limits set by all AEJMC Groups.
Papers uploaded with author’s identifying information displayed WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED FOR REVIEW AND WILL AUTOMATICALLY BE DISQUALIFIED FROM THE COMPETITION. All AEJMC Divisions, Interest Groups and Commission will abide by the rules below WITHOUT EXCEPTION.
NOTE: Contact Felicia Greenlee Brown with comments, concerns and other Conference Paper Call inquiries at Felicia@aejmc.org.